A large percentage of women include makeup in their daily routine in order to cover up blemishes, veins, uneven skin, redness, signs of aging, and simply to feel more confident. There are also those who enjoy creating new and colorful makeup looks just for the fun of it. Wearing makeup can change a woman’s appearance, brighten up eyes, and make lips look luscious and full.
Assuming you’d like to thoroughly enjoy these benefits, there are a few guidelines you can follow when applying makeup to ensure that you don’t put too much makeup on, or mix colors that don’t match.
One group of people who seem to have little trouble with these problems are celebrities since they always have perfect skin with flawless makeup.
Of course, their seemingly flawless looks are the result of hours of professional makeup artists and photographers.
Professional makeup artists will use makeup techniques to enhance their clients’ features; while downplaying negative facial features. Plus the beautiful photos chosen for magazine covers or advertisements can oftentimes be chalked up to photo editing.
Assuming you don’t have a photo editor or professional makeup artist on standby, you can still get a professional look at home by learning how to apply makeup correctly.
One important concept to learn before reaching for that makeup brush is having the right makeup for your skin type.
You’ll need to choose the right shades for your skin tone too. There are also limitations for different occasions such as work, school, dates or nightlife.
After all, the dramatic and sexy makeup style you choose for your nightlife probably won’t be appropriate for work or school. You will even need to take the clothes you wear into consideration for your makeup to look complete.
When you go out to a bar, grocery store, school or work, keep in mind what type of lighting is used in the venue, and if you’ll be exposed to sun or water. Your makeup can be adjusted for changing conditions, and you won’t need an entire closet full of makeup to achieve a nice look.
Instead, all you need is the knowledge of what different products there are, as well as when and why you should use makeup.
Let’s check some tips on applying different makeup products.
Tips on Applying Different Makeup Products
Foundation primers are used to help your makeup last all day. There are foundation primers for different skin tones, and you can also use foundation primer as a concealer.
Generally speaking, you will apply primer with your fingers before applying foundation.
Begin your day with clean and moisturized skin. Use cleansers designed for your specific skin tone, and then apply a light moisturizer; let your moisturizer dry before applying cosmetics to your skin.
There are a few options when it comes to the application of foundation, and the process differs based on the formula of foundation you choose.
Mousse or cream foundations are best applied and blended with your fingertips.
You are also able to use makeup sponge applicators; however, the best results are with fingertips.
The reason is because the heat from your fingers warms up the foundation, making it easier to move around and blend.
Liquid foundations are also easily blended with fingers, but a stippling foundation makeup brush is a great alternative.
- Pour a little foundation onto the back of your hand between your thumb and pointer finger.
- Next, dab your finger into the foundation, and then apply small dots of foundation on your jaw line, cheeks, nose, forehead and neck; continue blending until your face is covered with no harsh lines.
- If you are using a stippling brush, then you still pour a small amount of foundation onto the back of your hand, but dip your brush into the foundation instead.
- Apply the foundation with small circular strokes all around your face and neck.
Mineral foundations are a lot easier to apply, and work for all skin types.
You can apply mineral powder foundation by collecting the powder onto a makeup brush; then simply apply the powder in circular motions on your face and neck until you have the desired coverage.
You can choose to use concealer before or after foundation.
If you want to hide skin imperfections like age spots, freckles, dark circles or pimples, you can opt to use concealer before foundation.
Concealer should be one shade lighter or exactly the shade of your skin tone. Be sure you are blending the concealer out well so that your face looks flawless.
This step is what makes or breaks a makeup look, and it will also take the longest to perfect.
- Begin with eye shadow primer to make the shadow last all day, and then use eye shadow; you can use one color, or you can use more to create a smokey eye look.Moving along, eyeliner comes in a variety of colors, and the most frequently used eyeliner is black; however, if you don’t want an exaggerated look, go for a dark brown or deep shade of purple to make the whites of your eyes look even whiter.
- Apply eyeliner on the upper lash line to ground your lashes and make them look fuller. The last step involves mascara; apply mascara with a back and fourth motion to separate the lashes and avoid clumps.
This adds drama to your eyes without using bright colors or a lot of effort. You can also read step-by-step guide how to apply eye make up for more information about eye makeup application.
Blush is applied to the apples of your cheeks. Blush will often darken with the temperature of the body, so be sure to use this cosmetic sparingly.
- Swipe a makeup brush over your blush once to pick up the color, and then smile.
- Apply the blush to the apples of your cheeks or slightly below, and move the brush towards your hairline and temples.
- Repeat on the other side.
Once you’ve mastered the basics of applying makeup, you’ll be more comfortable experimenting with new products, methods of application and styles, and revel in the way makeup boosts your mood. The most important thing to remember is to blend, blend, blend!
If you’re not blending properly, then people will notice, and you may look unattractive. Begin with neutral shades that flatter all skin tones, and you’ll surely have a positive makeup experience.