In this article we are about to deal with very irritating problem of dry scalp. We will discuss it’s causes, the differences between dry scalp and dandruff and something what’s more important to all of us – how to fix the problem using great home remedies for dry scalp… Let’s start with the basics.
Losing skin cells is part of life. That is how our body renews itself: old cells dry out and die and new ones are created. But sometimes the process of death and renewal is accelerated and is noticeable beyond normal wear and tear.
It manifest itself by excessive shedding, skin peeling and rushes.
One that is most noticeable is the dry skin on the scalp because it sheds with brushing and everyday life. It accumulated on the shoulders of the sufferer and gives the impression of poor personal hygiene.
Paradoxically, it is not always caused by too little attention, sometimes it is cause by too much attention to the look of the hair. The two most prominent problems are dry scalp and dandruff, and the treatment for both should be different.
What is Dry Scalp?
Dry scalp happens when the skin on our scalp gets too dry and produces white scaly flakes. Those flakes are loosely attached to the skin. They fall off and can cause an embarrassment to the sufferer. Dry scalp is over shedding of skin cells due to dehydration of the sebaceous glands. The shedding is white.
Dandruff vs Dry Scalp: Differences
Dandruff in a sense is the opposite of dry scalp. Dandruff flakes are yellowish or orange color and are a mixture of oils, sweat, bacteria and skin.
Dry scalp does not involve bacteria and the combination of sweat and oils. White flakes can also be the result of product buildup.
What Causes Dry Scalp?
- Medical condition – if you suffer from psoriasis, there is a good chance you have it on your scalp as well. See if the patches are turning red, just like in other sensitive areas: elbows and knees.
- Low productivity of sebum which might be a genetic trait. That causes the skin to dry out quickly.
- Using bad hair care products, or those you are allergic to. Those products are filled with fillers ranging from alcohol to wax. Alcohol will remove the oils but will leave your scalp dehydrated and the hair brittle. Wax, on the other hand, tend to build up on the scalp, dry up and form a deposit. When a brush touches those deposits they turn into powdery mess, white in color.
- Not using hair conditioner. Shampoos, even the professional and expensive ones, dry the scalp. Using conditioner will maintain moisture in the hair and on the scalp.
- Hair Styling products – such as gels, mousses and hairspray. If your shampoo doesn’t do its job, some of the product remains in your hair even after shampooing it twice.
- Itching, scratching and over combing may cause the scalp to turn dry and irritated, resulting in shedding.
- Change in weather or humidity. Relocation to a drastically different climate can dry the skin and cause flaking of the scalp.
What you see in dandruff shampoo commercials, the white specs on the man’s or woman’s shoulder are actually dry scalp flakes, not dandruff. It photographs better and is more noticeable than dandruff.
Fortunately both conditions are not hard to reverse. Before you reach for the dandruff shampoo bottle you have to determine what you are suffering from. If it is only dry scalp, dandruff shampoo will dry your scalp even further.Dandruff shampoo may cause more dryness for your already dry scalp. #dryscalp #beautytip Click To Tweet
Dry scalp can be reversed with home remedies. So before you resort to chemicals, why don’t you give some of those home remedies for dry scalp a try?
Home Remedies for Dry Scalp
Hot Oil Treatment
- Heat some olive oil until it is warm and apply it to the scalp.
- Start from the middle and go down to the sides. You can apply it like you would color at home, with the help of a bottle, a brush or even a Q-tip.
- Give yourself a scalp massage to rub it in.
- Leave for about an hour and wash with mild shampoo.
- Follow with hair conditioner.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This vinegar is loaded with anti bacterial anti fungal properties. It cleans well and helps restore natural acids.
It can be the base for many home remedies that deal with dry skin:
- Put 2 cups of Apple cider vinegar in a pot and warm up.
- Wrap a few twigs of rosemary in a cheese cloth and place in the vinegar. Let cool, remove the cheese cloth and store in a glass bottle.
- Mix 1 cup of the mixture with a cup of water.
- Apply to the hair and scalp and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash the hair with shampoo and condition.
- Repeat once a week.
Another way is to make a rinse for dry scalp at home that will also smell good:
- Fill a jar with herbs: thyme, yarrow, rosemary, red cloves and aloe vera.
- Cover the herbs with Apple cider or white wine vinegar.
- Let stand for 4 – 5 days. Shake the jar once or twice a day.
- Strain the vinegar through a cheese cloth. (You can add new vinegar and continue).
- Add warm water and a few drops of essential oil, and rinse your hair and scalp with the mixture after you have shampooed and conditioned your hair.
- Leave it in and let the hair dry.
- Whisk a few tablespoons of lemon juice with a few tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Apply to the hair and leave for about an hour.
Check also some other uses of coconut oil.
Egg and Yogurt
- Combine egg with yogurt and apply on the scalp.
- Keep it for 15 minutes and rinse.
- Combine oatmeal and some water to create a paste.
- Gently massage your scalp with the past to remove excess of dry skin.
- Leave on for 30 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
This mask is great for the face as well. Leave it on the hair for an hour, on the face no more than half an hour at a time.
- Half of a ripe avocado.
- 1 cup plain yogurt.
- 3 tablespoons honey.
- Add oils: fish oil, omega 3 or vitamin E.
- Massage into hair and rinse.
Tea Tree Oil
Add 10 to 20 drops of tea tree oil in 1 cup of baby shampoo and use it daily until you scalp feels better and is dry no more.
Dry scalp is a problem that might be very irritating, however you already know great fixes for it, so just choose home remedy for dry scalp that looks most attractive to you and sooner than later, you’ll forget about this irritating problem. They are cheap, easy and natural!